[Hidden-tech] Alternative to SiteGround?

Rich@tnr rich at tnrglobal.com
Sun Mar 21 19:49:04 UTC 2021

For some yes, for others no:

I divide the web sites into 3 major categories, I am not including  high
end commercial online businesses:
             the likes of google and amazon, these are beyond any
discussion here.

1)  commercial sites with a major commitment to providing content online
or generating business.
       These clearly need what Rob is describing, and are well advised
to have such pros on their teams.
       We worked with such a site for over 10 years, moving from
dedicated multiple load-balanced web servers, database and Elasticsearch
search engine,
        moving to AWS as cloud services developed -- there were teams
from 3 companies in this project: https://www.thomasnet.com/

2) semi-commercial, and smaller non-profit sites: these support
organizations with long term goals, and where commercial,
              they don't expect the bulk of their business from the web
or are not revenue driven.
      I would expect them to rely on managed hosting with security
features and call in consultants for setup, for maintenance and to work
on security.
      When this doesn't happen, they often lose their site for various
reasons.  These need to hear what Rob is saying and don't drop the ball.
     The better hosting companies can be a good choice them.

      For years, I've been providing a number of local organizations
probono domain registration because when they do not commit the resources
      to maintaining their web presence, esp, when the organization goes
through changes, they can lose their domain because they miss the renewal,

3) The low end, or hobby, sites.  These are fits for the cheap end
hosting and will definitely get hit by the technology and company shifts
that Rob predicts.
It takes a experienced web developer to address these changes OR one
becomes one fairly quickly.
It is wise to expect such changes and keep reasonable offline (or
alternate cloud) backups.  Personally I have a set of local local linux
boxes and a drobo raid-like backup system.  But then I am spinning down
from decades of very hi-tech work so I'm not a good one to compare to.

One idea occurred to me, In looking at the hcoop group and looking at
how I want to address the issues with Siteground, would be an mutual
support coop web service.
The hcoop is far too different from what I found I'd like to use. I am
drifting toward getting a vps to run the 50 or so web  sites I have and
am still looking.
My deadline is to make a choice by may/june so I can move off the SG
system by Dec with more control going forward included.
Note: i am running HT lists on a AWS nano instance as well as using
Elasticsearch on aws for a number of sites include Shakerpedia.
What this all means is that my budget is a bit higher than most.
Any other suggestions or alternate ideas welcome.

Stay well all - Rich

Rich Roth
CEO TnR Global

Bio and personal blog: http://rizbang.com