[Hidden-tech] Google Suite vs Office 365 opinions sought

smackay at literacyproject.org smackay at literacyproject.org
Tue Sep 10 13:47:19 UTC 2019

Hi Folks

I need to switch our non-profit to either Google for non- profits or
Office 365. Both provide the functions we need. Google suite has the
advantage that 1/2 the staff have gmail and are familiar w the
platform. Also google forms are really helpful for our 2 program
coordinators. Office 365 has the office Suite of programs that we have
always used and Word & Excel seem more robust and easier to do mail
merges & formatting.
  So I have 3 questions that I'm looking for opinions on from anyone
who has switched people over to one format or the other.
1. Has digital transfer of accounts to either been especially hard or
especially easy?

2. Was using google drive or 1 drive difficult or confusing for low
tech-savvy users?  We have 22 staff. Maybe 5 are very comfortable with
tech.

3. Any thoughts on the administration of either?

Only 5 staff reported a preference. 2 for Office 365, 2 for Google, &
one who says either except sharing a google doc is cumbersome if the
receiver doesn't have gmail.

Looking mostly for red flags or praise to help w the final choice.

Any input appreciated, thanks.
Sara