[Hidden-tech] Need advice on some threatening emails

Stephen Michel s at smichel.me
Tue Apr 23 19:31:31 UTC 2019

Ignore it. I've recieved similar emails and am sure I am not infected.
They're just preying on people who aren't tech savvy enough to verify
their claims.

The "this email comes from your address" part is likely spoofed email
headers to make it *look* like it was sent by you, even though it was
actually sent from a different address.

Plus — and this goes for all ransom and extortion schemes — you
shouldn't pay them even if they did have some dirt on you. They don't
lose their leverage once you've paid them, so there's no guarantee they
won't simply demand more money afterwards.
--
I try to write short, functional emails.