[Hidden-tech] Advice re changing URL of a Wordpress site?

Gordon Kramer gsethkramer at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 10:33:58 EDT 2017

Hello,

I'm hoping this will be a simple question for someone who really understands how Wordpress sites are set up! I have a Wordpress site set up in a subfolder of my personal website: http://my_website.com/wp_folder

After the site was up and running, I got a domain name for it, set up the nameservers to point to my hosting account, and in the hosting account created the add-on domain so the domain name points to the subfolder. That all works fine - you put the domain name in your browser, it goes to the site's home page. BUT: When you select a page in the site's menu, it redirects to the page in http://my_website.com/wp_folder/, rather than in the new domain. I've tried fixing this in the WP admin General section (Site Address and Wordpress Address), but keep running into problems: On the site I get error messages that 'the page isn't redirecting properly', or I can't load the WP Admin at all, etc. I'm wondering if what's really needed is to modify the .htaccess in the Wordpress folder, but am not sure of what to do. I've tried to read up on this subject, but the info I find is complex and often contradictory... so am hoping someone familiar with this can cut through the complexity!
As a fringe benefit, it would be nice if the WP admin would load at the new domain's URL rather than my personal site's URL - but that's secondary and I could easily let that go.
Any help is very appreciated!

Regards,
   Gordon Kramer