[Hidden-tech] Question Regarding Consulting

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Mon Nov 20 10:09:39 EST 2017

Some of the consulting / employee rules came from the "peace dividend"
brought by Pres Clinton (I believe) in the early 90s.

What happened was the call went out for defense contractors to become
smaller as the weapon systems were not needed. This caused the contractors
to lay off many workers, and then "discover" that they couldn't fulfill
their already in-house contracts they had with DoD.

So they hired many of the layoffs back as consultants, but never told them
about the cost of being a consultant. That consultants had to pay employer
taxes, insurance, unemployment, and benefits to themselves.

All this isn't reported on a 1099.

After a year or so, Uncle Sam decided that any "consultant" employed by
defense contractors should be able to prove that they have multiple
contracts with several businesses. The call also went out that if the
consultant should operate as a Chapter S corporation, all was well.

Since that time it has been difficult to get work from the major defense
contractors, or form DoD, or many Gov't agencies unless one is a Chapter S
corp, or can prove the many contracts. So how does a person get their first
contract then?

In MA a chapter S corp has to pay $465 + $109 / year for the privilege, pay
employment taxes, etc., & file bunches forms.

All this costs & takes time away from real work.

Jim Ussailis
National Wireless. Inc.

PS Yes, I believe an LLC also satisfies these soft rules. I do have a
difficult time seeing the difference between Inc and LLC, however.

Original email: