[Hidden-tech] Experience with OOMA?

Doug Lowing delowing at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 15:09:59 EDT 2017

Hi Annamarie -

My opinion, worth price paid:

Considering a person with diminished ability, I would choose Plain Old
Telephone Service (POTS) from the local phone company. We have family
members with diminished capability and if I was not living there, I would
choose to go with standard copper service from the phone company.  if Ooma
dies for any reason at home, it stays out until I get home to re-set the
cable modem and Ooma device.  No one else at home knows how to reset the
devices in order.

POTS is absolutely simple and reliable.  Ooma is less expensive, but as
usual, we must pay extra for devices that are more forgiving and reliable.

Our experience:
- Critical: The homeowner must be able to reset their modem and the Ooma
device.
- Before committing, carefully research their out-of-USA fees per minute
for your particular use.
- Ooma has worked well for us, it has been our primary home phone service
for over 5 years.
- This is cable VOIP and the Ooma device is wired to our phone system, not
wireless We have a wireless base and satellite handsets.
- Any VOIP is vulnerable to power outages and unexplained glitches.
- I have both the cable modem and Ooma device connected to a small UPS for
brownouts.

-Doug Lowing