[Hidden-tech] How did you learn web programming?

Bruce Hooke bghooke at att.net
Tue Feb 21 14:01:22 EST 2017

I started out in web programming at one of the big consulting companies,
where I was given the job of managing a team's website. They knew I didn't
know anything much about website coding but they figured I could learn more
quickly than any of the other available people. I got some books and
software and started teaching myself and just kept going. When I got laid
off I started picking up work on my own and kept learning by reading and
doing. I've never taken a class in anything computer-related in my life.

Now, that worked for me but it is worth noting that I don't aim to be a
high-end web programmer. My stock-in-trade is that I can do both the design
work and the coding, and I can advise on topics like information
organization and writing. So, I've focused on developing a broad range of
skills rather than going deep in one area. I also don't have a family to
support and I live a relatively low-cost lifestyle, so I've had a bit more
freedom to make my own way and earn a good bit less money than I would as a
dedicated programmer at a larger company. If that's your goal I suspect that
especially now, when there are a lot of people learning web programming, you
may well need to go into the job market with more training on your resume.

Good luck!

Bruce Hooke

  _____