[Hidden-tech] wireless networking in machine shops

email at tonykord.com email at tonykord.com
Wed Jul 6 09:53:00 EDT 2016

Hi Spike:

>>> But maybe we'll try some RFI tracking & squashing

If you install wireless systems frequently, you’ll want to invest in a 2.4/5 Ghz spectrum analyzer. One of the most popular is Wi-Spy DBx from Metageek:

http://www.metageek.com/products/wi-spy/

It’s not cheap, but it will allow you to find sources of interference on the Wi-Fi bands. They even make a neat directional antenna, if you need one.

>>> Then, second, I still want a wireless networking technology that we could deploy, or better, that our customers could deploy - that doesn't make us want to kick puppies.

I work as a Systems Engineer for Aruba Networks, who makes (in my opinion) the best darned wireless equipment in the world. I can honestly say I have reliably deployed Aruba Wireless solutions and have never even been tempted to kick a puppy.

If you find there are noise sources in the environment, obviously the best thing to do is remove them. But if you can’t, you’ll need to increase the signal to noise ratio. Some wireless industry rules of thumb are 20dB SNR for data, and 25dB for voice. To achieve that in a large shop, you might need many access points. Also, 2.4 Ghz is very crowded these days. Industrial wireless solutions (like Aruba) try to steer clients to 5 Ghz, where there are more channels and less interference. The APs talk to each other and coordinate channels and power to maximize performance. They also provide considerable data about client connectivity that can help troubleshoot problems.

Good luck, and feel free to contact me if you want more information.

Tony Kord

Systems Engineer

Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company