[Hidden-tech] Likely I'm only guy crazy enuf still to use Msoft Outlook...

James Triplett jm-hiddentech at vj8.net
Mon Dec 22 19:20:31 EST 2014

On (22/12/14 14:57), 'David Morf' wrote:
> Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:57:43 -0500
> From: 'David Morf' <davidtoday at comcast.net>
> To: hidden-discuss at lists.hidden-tech.net
> Subject: [Hidden-tech] Likely I'm only guy crazy enuf still to use Msoft
> 	Outlook...
>

> Argh, I'm passing all SEND/RCV tests on Outlook setup, incl finding Comcast
> server via income port 110 [responding to query via outgoing port 587], both
> ports per direct Comcast helpdesk advice today following our recent move to
> CISCO gateway device (I know, dancing with Comcast devil) -- yet Outlook on
> my heretofor trusty DELL Inspiron 1545 displays rcv error...
>
> Task 'pop3.comcast.net - Receiving' reported error (0x800408FC) : 'The
> server name you entered can not be found on the network (it might be down
> temporarily). Please verify that you are online and that the server name is
> correct.'

Looking at it right now,
    $ telnet -4 pop3.comcast.net 110
    Trying 68.87.20.9...
    Connected to pop3-ch2.sys.comcast.net.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK POP3 ready

This says that the address is correct and that it is responding on the Pop port 110.
However the error you quote says "it cannot be found on the network".
That suggests a problem in your PC, like perhaps some firewall software?
If you have any firewall sw other than Microsoft Security Essentials, turn it
off or deinstall it, and see if the error persists.

good luck