[Hidden-tech] Laptop donations for two men in Africa

Deborah Chandler debchandler411 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 23:54:20 EDT 2013

Hi Hidden Techers,

Do you know of anyone who would consider donating laptops to two
colleagues in Africa? One is in Dakar, Senegal and one is in Bukavu,
DRC (Democratic Republic of Congo).

Samba in Dakar works as an expert djembe drummaker and small
businessperson and he needs to talk regularly to colleagues and
businesspeople, both here in the US and in Africa. He uses Skype
regularly and could really use a laptop for better viewing and
capabilities, instead of his cell phone he is using now.

Vianney in Bukavu graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Law, and is
looking for work, and needs a laptop for internet access and Skype as
well as word processing capabilities. He is also currently using a
cellphone.

In both cases electricity and internet connections are available
intermittently, and both need to use the internet access
strategically. If they had laptops, not only could they go online, but
they could use a Word program to create documents offline, ready to
transmit when online.

These men don't need or expect laptops with any special bells and
whistles. They will be grateful to get what they can. They need
working laptops with power cords (not sure if same voltage as here),
that have operating systems that will be compatible with internet
browsers for at least a year (I would say). Cosmetic challenges are
fine, as long as laptops function fine. Apple or PC is fine.

PLEASE NOTE: I have just heard that the colleague who would be
transporting the laptop to Samba is flying out on Tuesday, so I should
get the laptop to him by Monday at the latest.

If you would like to consider donating a laptop to either man, I can
personally vouch for their need and the gratitude with which they
would receive them.

Thanks for any leads you have, and if you have questions or input,
feel free to contact me. I could also provide email addresses for both
men as well as Facebook account info. (But again, there could be
delays in response due to internet connectivity; in Samba's case, the
heavy annual rain is just now receding and is the main cause of the
power outages.)

Thanks,
Deb