[Hidden-tech] PT Job Posting - CHOICES Program in Holyoke

Jeff Mackler jeff at rubberneck.net
Tue Sep 3 12:49:00 EDT 2013

The CHOICES program (an after school program in Holyoke) is still looking
for a few instructors to teach middle school students a few afternoons a
week.  I'm sending to this list because one area they are specifically
looking for is a technical course (such as: game programming, computer
repair, animation, robotics, video).

---

*JOB POSTING - CHOICES*

Instructors for program's first session (September 30th to January
30th, Monday/Wednesdays or Tuesday/Thursdays)
*
*

*Position posting:  *Mini-course instructor for after-school enrichment
program (CHOICES).
Examples of mini-courses that we would like to have:

     - Robotics

- Dance

     - Outdoor adventure
     - Media

    - Sports for boys

     - or other creative ideas

Projected program duration:
*First session:* Starts on the last week of September until the last week
of January 2014

*Salary: * $15 to $25 per hour
*Hours:* 2 days a week from (M/W or Tu/Th) 3:50 to 5:50

*Program Structure:*

CHOICES is an after-school program supported by Holyoke Community
College and implemented at The Peck Full Service Community School in
Holyoke. The program targets at-risk middle school youth who are highly
committed to self-development by engaging in enriching activities.

· The CHOICES after-school program will run from 3:00 to 5:50pm.
     From 3:00 to 4:30 pm is a snack period as well as time for homework
assistance.
· The overall program will operate four days per week (Monday-Thursday).

     However, because mini-courses will be offered two afternoons per week
(either Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday),

     your program proposals should be based on a two-day per week model.
· We project between 10 and 15 students in each mini-course.
· One high school or one college age tutor will be available to assist you
during mini-course time.

*Program Priorities: * We are interested in hiring instructors who
provide mini-courses that address one or more of the following
priorities:

· The mini-course includes highly engaging and enriching
activities for middle school age students that provide experiential
learning activities and promote the use of technology when possible.

· The mini-course focuses on an area of high interest for urban
middle school students.

· The mini-course is culturally relevant to Holyoke middle
school students (that is, students are able to explore and affirm
their own cultural identities through participating in this program).

· The mini-course includes an artistic component (visual arts,
theater, etc.).

· The mini-course supports student fitness and wellness.

· The mini-course attracts and retains students in need of
support in their academic and/or personal lives (including, ideally, a
mix of boys and girls).

· All mini-courses conclude with final, culminating product or
activity (it is up to the instructor to determine the nature of this
final product).

 ***Note*:  we do not expect that any single program could address all of

the above priorities; rather, we are looking for a mix of programs
that, in combination, address these priorities.

*Program Requirements:*

- Participation in the CORI background check is mandatory.
- A brief, written description of instructor’s course to be
included in any recruitment brochures and registration applications.
- CPR and First Aid training preferred. Provided by employer if
needed.
- Complete any student and self-performance evaluation that is
necessary.
- Attendance to monthly meetings

*Included in your Proposal:*

·      Describe the mini-course you propose to offer to Peck students
as part of the CHOICES After-School program.

·      Do you have specific scheduling needs for your mini-course
(i.e., would you need to do either Monday-Wednesday or Tuesday-
Thursday, or are you available for either)?

·      Describe any needed resources (i.e. specific rooms or space,
materials, field trips, etc.).

·      Which of the program priorities will your mini-course address,
and how will it address each of the priorities you identify?

·      What do you envision for your course’s final, culminating
product and/or activity?

If you have questions about this program and/or need help in putting
together your proposal, please contact the following:

§ Melany Mendoza, HCC After-School Programs Director (552-2471
or cell *413.218.6595*)

Deadline for Resume and Proposal submissions:  Open until positions are
filled

Mail or email proposals to:

Melany Mendoza, HCC After-School Programs Director
303 Homestead Avenue
Holyoke, MA 01040
Email:  *mmendoza at hcc.mass.edu*
--

~~
Jeff Mackler

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -Einstein