[Hidden-tech] Questions about DSLAMs (Digital subscriber line access multiplexers)

Cheryl Handsaker ht at charlemontwebworks.com
Fri Nov 29 13:34:11 EST 2013

Charlemont did this maybe 12 years ago using a Verizon T1 line and ran a
DSLAM out of an office building that was very near the central office.
We used dark copper alarm circuits for the last mile. We hired Berkshire
County Network to run the service although they have been sold since
that time to a new provider. It was really expensive service, but it was
the only game in town for a while.

I suspect that the regulatory world is a bit different, as is Verizon's
pricing structure so I am not sure something like this will still be
possible today. Not sure if any of the local ISPs would willing to work
with you the way BCN did with Charlemont years ago. Their involvement
made the whole thing possible.

Here's an article from that time:
http://www.charlemont-ma.us/Business/BusinessCharlemontDSL.shtml