[Hidden-tech] domain name acquisition

Bruce Hooke bghooke at att.net
Thu Apr 11 14:25:40 EDT 2013

Thanks Rich,

I basically agree, with the caveat that domains can get into more than just
renewing once a year. At the most basic level I've run into problems with
the website interface used to manage the domain, which meant calling on
support to handle what should be simple changes to things like the mailing
address for the domain owner, get the key necessary to transfer a domain,
and similar things. This is usually not that urgent so 24/7 support isn't
really necessary. However, things get more complicated when dealing with
advanced settings that allow the mail to be routed to, say, gmail, while the
website traffic is routed to the hosting company. Here easy-to-reach support
can be more important, especially if you are trying to roll out a change in
the overnight hours to minimize the disruption to the users of the website's
email. This is, however, getting into the more "techie" end of things and it
is probably true that many people will never need to call on support for the
domain name.

I very much agree that places that put their name on your domain should be
avoided at all costs!

Thanks,
Bruce

  _____