[Hidden-tech] domain name acquisition

Gyepi SAM gyepi-hidden-tec at praxis-sw.com
Fri Apr 12 08:27:24 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 02:25:40PM -0400, Bruce Hooke wrote:
> I basically agree, with the caveat that domains can get into more than just
> renewing once a year. At the most basic level I've run into problems with
> the website interface used to manage the domain, which meant calling on
> support to handle what should be simple changes to things like the mailing
> address for the domain owner, get the key necessary to transfer a domain,
> and similar things. This is usually not that urgent so 24/7 support isn't
> really necessary. However, things get more complicated when dealing with
> advanced settings that allow the mail to be routed to, say, gmail, while the
> website traffic is routed to the hosting company. Here easy-to-reach support
> can be more important, especially if you are trying to roll out a change in
> the overnight hours to minimize the disruption to the users of the website's
> email. This is, however, getting into the more "techie" end of things and it
> is probably true that many people will never need to call on support for the
> domain name.

Most of the items you list here are technical. If you envision needing support
for doing these kinds of things, then it actually makes sense to find a
registrar based on that criteria. It also sounds like you might be using a
registrar that also provides DNS, and possibly other, services. In my
experience, registrars tend to be better at their core services than their
value added services: I use them for what they are good at and not more.

-Gyepi