[Hidden-tech] domain name acquisition

Rich Roth webmaster at hidden-tech.net
Thu Apr 11 10:18:38 EDT 2013

Bruce,
You noted an interesting and important point that gets lost when not clarifying the line
between a hosting company
and a registrar, it also comes into play with many web 'development' firms - who actually
owns the domain.

I have seen all too many domains registered by the hosting company or web development
company in their name,
and NOT the web site real owners name -- when this happens it almost always ends in a
fight for the legitimate owner
to reclaim their rightful property.  A registrar can not do that - by legal contract with
ICANN.

I do have a subtle objection to the use of the word 'domain' in this discussion because it
blurs the line between domain
support (which is almost none, basically renewal every year) and web site support or email
support, which can be pretty
constant, and usually includes both web site, dns and email services.

There is no need for 24/7 support on a domain, so long as you keep it renewed - there can
be very much a need for it on a web site,
more so for 15/7 - which is basically day time hours including w/e's, 24/7 needed more for
busier, non-industrial sites.

Rich