[Hidden-tech] Payroll

Don Lesser dlesser at ptraining.com
Thu Mar 15 10:07:12 EDT 2012

I've been using QuickBooks Payroll for nearly 20 years. It is simple and
straightforward and your accountant can prepare your W2/1099s if you want.
Intuit has gone from being a fantastic company with excellent technical
support to being an irritating giant with adequate tech support, (being
kind), but I haven't seen anything better. The cost of the yearly tax tables
keeps going up (300+ I believe at present) and you have to upgrade
QuickBooks every 2 years to be able to use payroll, so there are probably
cheaper alternatives out there. But I love being able to send QB reports to
Excel and we do some programming from Excel and Access to QuickBooks, so
there is a business reason for me to keep using it.

Setup is pretty straightforward-you turn on payroll, link to the on-line
tables, and create employee records and payroll items. Then, you simply run
payroll, creating whatever checks you need. It does the monthly liability
reports and payments (as checks). I enter the numbers on-line and change the
check #s to EFT so I don't  need to print them. A little intimidating the
first time, but quickly routine.  We can do the consulting if you want, your
accountant may be able to help, and there are dozens of QuickBooks
consultants out there who can also help.

Don Lesser

Pioneer Training, Inc.

139B Damon Road, Ste 8

Northampton, MA 01060