[Hidden-tech] Trying to figure out traffic spike

gabe ripley gabe at tattoonow.com
Tue Feb 7 08:39:28 EST 2012

hey folks,

We have had a recent traffic spike which was not unexpected as I made
a few somewhat significant changes two months ago as our traffic had
dropped over the years. We had on occasion done a million unique
visitors a month, but over the last 3-4 years our traffic had dropped
to about 150,000 uniques. the last week had seen our daily count rise
to about 15,000 (from 5k) and then last weekend we have broke 60,000
each day. yesterday was 82k uniques. What is curious is google
analytics says these new visitors are coming "directly" in, and they
are being delivered exclusively to 4 pages. Its a tad unnerving not
knowing where the visitors are coming from and the fact they go to
four pages exclusively (Id much rather a more event distribution),
they must be coming from a search engine I imagine? Anyone have any
similar experiences, or experience zeroing in on exactly where traffic
is coming in from? Its a great problem to have, to not understand
where zillions of people are coming from, but I want to understand so
I don't lose it again! It might be as easy as website history (over 10
years) and the tweaks I made, but its the not knowing the source is
killing me!!

thanks in advance,
gabe

- Producing educational art and tattoo events:

2/20-24 2012 - Tamaya Resort NM
http://www.ParadiseArtistRetreat.com

9/13-16 2012 - Keystone CO
http://www.TattooGathering.com

Offices at our tattoo studio:
http://www.OffTheMapTattoo.com/
112 Cottage St Easthampton MA 01027 (413) 585-9134