[Hidden-tech] resume writer

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Thu Feb 9 23:14:07 EST 2012

At 1:49 PM -0500 2/9/12, Val Nelson wrote:
>You make a good point about not stopping with the resume.
>
>As a career and business coach, I see lots of problematic resumes
>and misunderstandings about the job search. I even see resumes by
>resume services that don't understand today's job market.
>
>Shel's approach is the right one. He gets that a resume is a
>marketing tool where you need to get creative.

Thanks, Val! Yes, absolutely, a resume is a marketing document.

>It can't be an old school resume in today's market or you'll be lost
>in the shuffle.

Well, let me suggest a modification: If you have had 3-4 jobs in the
same career, progressive increases in responsibility, two or more
years at each, no significant gaps, and a reputable degree, the
traditional format is perfect for you. I do plenty that fit that
mold--but Hidden-Techers don't tend to fall into that profile. For
those of us with multiple career interests, lateral moves, multiple
accomplishments, and/or short work periods with breaks, it 'snot a
good format. I have a lot more fun with the challenging ones, even
though the take me longer.

>In terms of books, I have found that many of my career coaching
>clients don't get as much out of the Parachute book as some other
>books.
>
>A couple of new books that are fun, creative, and concrete:
>- The Anti-Resume Revolution by our local genius Angela Lussier.
>- Career Renegade by Jonathan Fields.
>Both of those books accommodate for the fact the more and more
>people have to start their own business to follow their calling. And
>then there are all the specialty career books such as for
>introverts, mid-life, etc.

One very old book that I still recommend: Career Map by the Valley's
own Neal Yaeger--still the best thing I've seen on the hidden job
market. And for thinking about building a future with non-traditional
careers in multiple sectors, another local author, Margaret
Lobenstine, The Renaissance Soul.

Shel Horowitz - 413-586-2388/ shel at frugalfun.com
-->Join the Business Ethics Pledge - Ten Years to Change the World,
One Signature at a Time  (please tell your friends)
<http://www.business-ethics-pledge.org>
Marketing consulting * copywriting * publishing assistance * speaking
How to market ethically/effectively: http://www. greenandprofitable.com
Blog on Green Marketing/Ethics/Politics:
http://greenandprofitable.com/shels-blog/
Books: http://www.frugalmarketing.com/cart