[Hidden-tech] LinkedIn Poll Results Summary

Claudia Gere Claudia at ClaudiaGereCo.com
Sat Oct 29 18:45:04 EDT 2011

For those of you not on LinkedIn, I've summarized the poll results below.

Cheers, Claudia

Claudia Gere & Co. LLC
Helping smart people become outstanding authorsT

Be an Author Webinar starts in January
http://www.claudiagereco.com/speaking/be-an-author-webinar/
Follow me on Twitter: @claudiagere
Join me on LinkedIn
Claudia at ClaudiaGereCo.com
www.ClaudiaGereCo.com
+1 413 259 1741

Here is are the results of the vote and the 12 comments. There is also some
demographic info (age and sex) that I haven't summarized.

22 voted to keep the traditional email list
9 were in favor of having the discussions on LinkedIn with an email digest.
Here are the 12 comments.

COMMENTS:
Yes, it would be great if the "survey" text move to the bottom so preview
would work. Yes to email, no to LinkedIn.

Personally I find LinkedIn groups even more prone to the noise problem than
email. I end up ignoring 90% of it. Also, is someone actively managing the
LinkedIn group? It took a couple months before my membership was approved.

Let me add my vote to move the annoying survey language to the bottom. This
would make it possible to preview the mail without opening it. I used to get
digest but switched to individual e-mail. In Eudora, I can hold the option
key and get all messages that share a subject line--which means if someone
is asking some techie question about which version of PHP to use (I don't
know and don't care, not a programmer), I can mass-delete and move on--but
if there's a thread I'm interested in, it's a snap to read all the posts at
once even if they were separated by time.

I Prefer Email, I use Google apps/gmail client which groups into
conversations, if subject is of no interest I delete them. If I had to login
or go elsewhere I would not do so. If you set up folders in your email
client, email can skip the inbox and go to a dedicated folder, and you will
not receive a blackberry notification.

 For my part, email works better. I can scan quickly, hit the delete key,
and move on. If it catches my interest, I can linger and/or respond. My
email is always there. As people move to forums, I have to stop and think,
gee, what forum have I not checked. Should I take time to run out (on the
web) and check LinkedIn, Facebook, Google+, yahoo groups, linux questions, .
. . . Put all those lists in forums, and I just won't ever bother to check.
Too busy.

How would the digest work? By thread, or daily? (Daily works for me, but I
can see the benefit of either). The challenge of a thread digest is that
there may be many short threads, and people may not always change the topic,
so it can get messy. Hmm...I think I've just talked myself into the daily
digest.