[Hidden-tech] Any RF experts out there?

Tom Kopec tek at acm.org
Tue Oct 18 04:52:56 EDT 2011

Why don't you post the question on the sites you quoted and see what
they have to say? They seem to have and army of "experts". They kind of
lost credibility with me when I got to the quote :
"Even if you don't use a cell phone and your home is wireless-free, you
can be exposed to microwave radiation from your neighbor's wireless
devices.."

That's just plain sensationalism.

The quote:
".. because the SAR rating has nothing to do with the non-ionizing
radiation emitted.." is flat wrong. I have serious problems with the use
of SAR in rating phone safety (see below), but SAR most certainly deals
with non-ionizing radiation - that's what RF is.

So, unless you already wear a tinfoil hat, I'd take these articles with
a large grain of sea salt. Just don't keep your cellphone glued to your
ear (or hand, in the case of a smartphone) all day, and if you've
decided to replace your landline with cell, get a wired headset. Simple
precautions such as this will have a far greater impact.

That said, you'll probably end up with less harmful cellphone exposure
if you are using a carrier that has good coverage where you will be
using your phone. All cellular technologies (as far as I'm aware) adjust
their power output based on need.

(my background: in 1980, my assigned final paper topic in Microwave
Engineering II was "Microwave Radiation Hazards". In researching it I
found that, even then, the use of SAR-like metrics was considered by
many to be an inappropriate measure of hazard even for some
continuous-wave emissions.)

...tom