[Hidden-tech] writing rates

Marcia Yudkin yudkinyudkin at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 19:23:51 EST 2010

>>I’ll be eager to hear other opinions, but to me paying by the word is counterproductive. The best online writing is tight and concise. The better you are, the less you make. Not sure why you’d do this.<<

Pay by the word comes from the pre-Internet world of magazine writing, where articles have a strict word limit and it is assumed that the work is already very tightly edited by the writer before being handed in.

In that world, it is not at all true that the better you are, the less you make, because the better you are, the higher your per-word rate.

Beginning writers might get 5 or 10 cents a word;  excellent, experienced ones might get $3 a word.

Marcia Yudkin
Goshen
Published Writer Since 1981