[Hidden-tech] Music-video storage in the cloud

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Wed May 19 10:39:45 EDT 2010

Roger Williams wrote:
>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.

>   > How is the privacy of your files using these services ?
>
> Frankly, weak.  I know of no backup service providers who provide a guarantee
> that stored data will not be accessible by its employees nor that the results
> of such employee access not be released upon request to courts or interested
> law enforcement organisations.  Most providers specifically spell out such
> exceptions in their TOS.
>
> Moreover, all of the popular online backup services rely on encryption in the
> link (SSL) and cloud (AES usually), rather than encryption with your own key
> in the client before it's uploaded.  This means that the data is unencrypted
> some of the time on their servers.
>
> So... you shouldn't use one of the consumer-oriented services if you're a
> Chinese dissident because it's presumptively insecure against your risks.
>
> More to the point: given the current environment and the likelihood of ACTA
> (which as of March includes a provision to require ISPs to provide information
> about suspected copyright infringers without a warrant) or similar
> legislation, I would be very careful about borrowed or ripped media.
> I rip DVDs that I own for playback convenience and protection of the original
> media (I have kids), but I won't backup these files up to an online service.
>
> For my business, we've been relying on the traditional model of local backup
> to tape (from a local server, which provides primary backup for individual
> computers) with off-site tape storage.  We may replace the tapes with cloud-
> based storage -- but in this case, the locally-stored backups are already
> encrypted with our own keys before we upload them.

Just off hand, if you are using either Linux or Mac OS X, you can use
Amanda <http://amanda.zmanda.com/> for backups and configure it to
connect to Amazon S3. You can also configure it to encrypt your data
before sending it. Documentation is on their wiki.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator