[Hidden-tech] Music-video storage in the cloud

Roger Williams roger at qux.com
Wed May 19 09:49:57 EDT 2010

  > On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Roger Williams <roger at qux.com> wrote:
  >> Moreover, all of the popular online backup services rely on encryption in the
  >> link (SSL) and cloud (AES usually), rather than encryption with your own key
  >> in the client before it's uploaded.

  > That's not true-- JungleDisk, for one, encrypts before uploading:

Thanks for correcting my blanket assertion, Gavin, you're quite right about that!

I should have remembered the client-side encryption, as I was a Jungle Disk
customer for a year, until the reality of the impracticality of backing up our
individual machines over a DSL connection sunk in.

Alas, like the other online backup services we've discussed, Jungle Disk uses
a proprietary client, so it was impossible to perform backups from our home
network storage box.  I'll certainly make sure that any future cloud storage
service I use provides an open-source client so that I can use it with my NAS
and network servers.

--
Roger Williams <roger at qux.com>
Chief Technical Officer, Qux Corporation