[Hidden-tech] Music-video storage in the cloud

Roger Williams roger at qux.com
Tue May 18 14:12:17 EDT 2010

  > I think he was just looking for storage, not the ability to play, so
  > that's not really an issue.

My biggest problem with using cloud storage as a primary backup medium is
upstream bandwidth.

For instance, even a _good_ Verizon DSL connection will provide only 80 KB/s
upstream, which means that a puny 2 GB video file will take all night to
upload to the cloud.  This is not a good backup solution for my working
MacBook, which is unlikely to be connected to any given network connection for
long.

What we do is to use Time Machine to back up our notebooks during the night to
an inexpensive NAS in the house; and then let the NAS use cloud storage for
long-term backup.

The other purpose for which many of us find cloud storage useful is to
maintain synchronised copies of specific folders (e.g. current customer
working files) on our notebook and work machines, so that we can access these
remotely when we don't have my notebook along.  For this purpose, the ability
to access the files with a variety of different clients (from a PC to a
smartphone) is important.  Although I haven't yet tried ZumoDrive, this
appears to be the scenario they're addressing.

--
Roger Williams <roger at qux.com>
Chief Technical Officer, Qux Corporation