[Hidden-tech] .mobi domain advantages if any?

Matt Lampiasi mattl at florenceit.net
Sat Dec 11 01:49:49 EST 2010

  Hi Andrew

Im sure you'll get lots of responses from web developers and there's
various ways to do it as i understand.  but here's my take as i just
started offering .mobi sites to my web hosting customers - actually you
can host elsewhere and still use the mobile site from my service.
so the way it works on mine is thus: you configure how the site looks
using a generic smartphone optimized website. downside is all sites
(using my service), look the same. you can change only basic things:
color, logos, which modules to load  (every icon is a module you can
enable or disable via a interface). its pretty basic and simple but
conversely easy to setup, as in 10 minutes easy. so the way it works:
you past a line of code into your homepage and when people visit your
site on a smartphone, that code recognizes a mobile browser, and they
are automatically directed to the mobile version. You can see my site on
your android vs. computer browser for an example. in my case i decided
to use the provider's  generic subdomain as it's not that important to
me to have it go to a .mobi domain , at least for now. i can ad it
anytime i choose though.

so.. as this relate to your question: with MY service a .mobi domain is
optional. I looked at your mobile site and its workable. your main site
looks fine on a blackberry too (and im sure looks fine as you say on
android). you have a .mobi already but they are asking you to buy it
(?).  how yours got setup is unclear in your message and im curious if
you dont mind clarifying.  to answer one question: without some
modifications to your main page, your site currently  will not redirect
automatically to the .mobi.

anyhow...  i am not sure if .mobi is a strongly established standard. so
if you decide you want a super slick mobile optimized  site from a
developer, using whatever methods of browser detection they use, theres
no reason they cant redirect it to some subdomain that you can use most
likely for free with your current host (a subdomain being something
like: whatever.stakeholderscapital.com). (just an idea).

so from my perspective, you only need the .mobi if that is some sort of
standard that you should be following (web developers and larger
webhosts than me surely will have input on this point).

as to if you even NEED a mobile site, i guess it depends on your client
base and targets, are they likely to have smartphones or some tablet
device (i'd guess your demographic is a big yes).

--
Thank you <http://florenceit.net/articles/32-free-kill-a-watt>,

Matt Lampiasi
Florence I.T. -    413-584-3239