[Hidden-tech] finding systems to test on

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Wed Apr 21 13:04:25 EDT 2010

Daniel Fried wrote:
> I have a resource intensive application that I need to test for
> performance scaling with hardware, specifically I want to be able to
> get a better idea of where my bottlenecks are by testing the
> application on systems with faster processors/more cores and database
> performance with faster drives.
>
> Can anyone give me some ideas on where I might be able to find some
> systems I can test on?  I have a .Net application that talks to a
> MySQL database.  The current dev and qa systems require Windows for
> the application, but can run MySQL on either Windows (same or
> different system) or Linux.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

One of the major points that was made at the Cloud Camp yesterday (by
the folks from TNR Global, who, I believe, were using the Amazon cloud
services) was that it made prototyping and testing incredibly easy and
cost effective. One of their guys described building out a significant
sized virtual cluster to test disaster recovery. Once the test was
completed, the whole system could be torn down. Since there were no
physical machines to be spec'ed out, purchased, set up, configured,
etc., the whole process could be done in the same day, and the cost was
just the cost of the resources used that day.

This would give you the flexibility of doing tests on variable sized
virtual instances. You could run a test today with specifications for
number of compute units, memory and disk size. Using those results you
might continue your development, tweak your settings, and then next week
run another test with a virtual machine specified to twice that number
of compute units, memory, etc. In the time between now and then there
are no physical machines hanging around and no cost.

Since I haven't done it myself, I can't tell you the cost, and the guy
from TNR Global didn't say what their costs were. Only that they were
extremely affordable and almost nothing compared to the alternative of
setting up real physical machines. So, you'll have to look into the
costs for yourself to know if it works for you.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator