[Hidden-tech] OS X for old iBook?

Jan Werner jwerner at jwdp.com
Wed Nov 11 20:10:07 EST 2009

I have an old 800 Mhz iBook G4 running OS X 10.3 (Panther). It isn't
used for much except web browsing, but newer releases of most software
(e.g., Firefox) no longer support any OS X version before 10.4 (Tiger),
which is apparently no longer available from Apple for love or money.
Older iBooks running at less than 867 Mhz can't run OS X 10.5 or later.

I've seen dubious copies of OS X 1.4 offered online at prices ranging
from $199 up, which is much more than I would be willing to spend on
this particular computer, even if I trusted the vendors and could be
assured it was a version that would actually work on my iBook. It's
probably more than the computer itself is even worth these days.

What I think I need is a retail copy of OS X 1.4, meaning that the
license is not restricted to the computer it came on, that is no longer
in use, meaning that the license is available for use on another system.

Is this something that any of the Mac enthusiasts on H-T might happen to
have lying around and be willing to part with for a reasonable sum?

Jan Werner