[Hidden-tech] safe surfing tips

Rich rich at on-the-net.com
Mon Nov 9 19:28:19 EST 2009

I can't resist stepping in on this one.

As you might guess we were pretty early on the tech curve - my son
started at the keyboard
at 18 months and (now a few past 30) worked at Red Hat before it moved
to NC, is on his 3 dot.com startup,
both he and his sister (of similar age, and running a number of blogs,
as well as both being fair java programmers)
helped copy disks for a prior software company of mine -- we just gave
our granddaughter an XO  (OLPC)
for her 3rd birthday and she said (really) "this is a dream come true"--
btw, their grandfather
was a plane designer and their great-grand father was a mechanic and ran
a chauffeuring service
in the teen's -- So hi-tech and being adventurous is a norm for us.

No way we could protect them by blocking - and they'd defeat any
protection we could devise,
more over, we firmly believe that understanding is the real answer -- my
wife (a professor of early
childhood education) says if they haven't been taught your morals and
standards by the age
of 12 - it's over - they are their own person's by then.  They also need
to be trusted to
learn their own way.

Net-Net: blocking the obvious age inappropriate material might be worth
some effort,
but heck regular broadcast tv is worse then some of what's on the net, and
teaching safely - esp understanding personal privacy and that you can't
take back
what's online is the best basics you can give them.

No matter how you try -- they grow up and have their own ideas - kinda a
pain :)
Rich

--
Rich Roth
CEO On-the-net

Bringing you complex online systems since the net was young
http://www.tnrglobal.com - Blog: http://www.rizbang.com
Helping move the world:  http://www.earththrives.com