[Hidden-tech] open source CRM - SugarCE vs vTiger

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Thu May 7 16:37:47 EDT 2009

On Thu, 7 May 2009 at 15:35, andrew bellak wrote:
> We have decided to use either Sugar CRM Community Edition or vTiger CRM.  I
> suppose you could try to talk us out of either and advise using Salesforce
> and/or MS Outlook but I think one of the first two hosted on our server will
> be less expensive and we'll have more control over our data.

I presume you know that vTiger was based originally on SugarCRM.  I have
no idea if they are tracking SugarCRM at all.

I have worked with vTiger, but not SugarCRM.  Mostly I have done installs
and hacking on the vTiger code rather than actually using it, so I can't
really tell you much about its operational feel.  If you send and receive
email from within the vTiger email interface I'm pretty sure it does
what you want, but I wouldn't swear to it without going back and running
some tests to confirm.

The company I do the vTiger work for is using it successfully for
sales-force stuff, but not as far as I know for project management.
I don't think they've tried the project management module.  Instead they
use RT for trouble ticket management, and project management is done
without software support, for better or worse :)

I can tell you that hacking on the vTiger code can be...exciting...but
that's mostly because it is PHP and PHP is bear to work with when a code
base gets to the size that vTiger is at.  I would guess that SugarCRM
is the same, especially since a lot of the php code originated there,
to my understanding.

--David