[Hidden-tech] errors & ommisions insurance for web designers

Roman Victor romanvictor at rvpmdesigns.com
Fri Mar 6 09:18:39 EST 2009

Hi Nancy,

I have done projects for clients for more than 20 years and the usual old
fashioned typos, small errors and omissions do happen and are just as
quickly fixed. I give my clients a fixed amount of time, usually 6 months
after the sign off date; to bring up any found bugs or omissions to be
freely fixed.

That said, if you have an ongoing relationship, you are morally obligated to
stay on top of the latest attack vectors like DOS attacks, SQL injections,
and dictionary attacks as well as work on the customer's behalf to mitigate
as best effort future attacks by keeping your own code and any third party
software you use patched against new threats. The client should expect to
pay you money for your work to stay in front of this area and to simply be
available in case of problems. If the client risks are really that big
consider bringing in an internet security firm yearly to review and test
your web applications for any technical risks you might have overlooked.

I also use a statement in my agreement that spells out that if I totally
fail on a project (and I never have) the client is due no more than the
total amount of the project. If you the sole proprietor, you should also
consider providing the client in writing the name of a backup person or firm
that can take up where you left off in the case you get hit by a bus or
become ill.

Roman

Roman Victor, Software Developer
RVPM Designs