[Hidden-tech] RE: errors & ommisions insurance for web designers

Marcia Yudkin yudkinyudkin at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 5 12:12:31 EST 2009

> Errors and
> omissions is ridiculous
> expensive in our business.  We used to have it, but
> I’ve instituted
> a policy of always making right with the customer
> instead.  So if we ever
> make a mistake or have a print error or anything I eat the
> cost.  It’s
> much cheaper. Plus we are very diligent with making sure we
> don’t have
> errors that we or the client will get sued for.

I totally agree with this.  I have been self-employed for 28 years and (knock on wood) never been sued.  I don't think any of my colleagues who do what I do have been sued, either.

Recently I was up for a contract with an international aid organization, and we were all agreed on the terms of the work, except that their contract stated that I had to have errors & omissions insurance.  I told them that I "self-insured" (a good phrase to use).  I wasn't sure there was going to be a way to settle this, because they're big enough to have a contracts department, but they came back and added a clause to the contract saying that errors and omissions would be covered under their policy for this project.

A pretty good outcome!

Marcia Yudkin
www.yudkin.com
Goshen