[Hidden-tech] UX Book Club Brattleboro: First meeting July 30th

Julie Strothman julie at strottrot.com
Wed Jul 22 17:09:24 EDT 2009

Hello Hidden-Tech!

Anyone want to get together over appetizers and drinks to talk user
experience?
It's a book club, but I hope people will show up if they're interested even
if you haven't read the month's book.

Please check out the site at: http://uxbookclubbrattleboro.ning.com/

Our first meeting is next Thursday: July 30th
6 - 7:30 pm at the Steak-Out in Brattleboro
Book: Designing for the Social Web, Joshua Porter

Josh's book is written around his Usage Lifecycle framework (described at:
http://bokardo.com/archives/designing-for-the-social-web-the-usage-lifecycle/).

Video of Porter's Webstock 09 talk:
http://bokardo.com/archives/designing-for-sign-up-video-slides/
(also has links to the slides)

The framework describes the progression people go through as they use
software:
unaware > interested > first-time use > regular use > passionate use.
Between each stage is a hurdle requiring a change in behavior for which we,
as experience designers, are responsible.

What strategies are you using to make your users care to jump a hurdle?
How are you using (or thinking about using) social influence to get people
to passionate use? What obstacles do you face?

See you there!
(or on the UXBookClub site--members get 35% off PeachPit (New Riders) books;
more discounts to come)
http://uxbookclubbrattleboro.ning.com/

Julie Strothman
Experience Researcher, Landmark College