[Hidden-tech] any reason not to use Boost Mobile?

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Mon Jan 26 14:41:37 EST 2009

Here's an FYI that might be interesting.

As far as I know, every cell provider uses their own and other networks.
Just because one might use Sprint, doesn't mean that the calls go only thru
the Sprint network and towers. These calls might just as well go thru a
T-Mobile site, as one of the many, many mom & pop sites around North
America.

Yes, there are many folks who own one or two cell sites. Not rent out
towers, but physically own and run the site. They may rent, or not rent the
land (and the tower) where the tower sits. These entities provide cell
service to the big boys.

There are only two types of cell carriers in the States. There were three,
but analog is gone. Canada may still have analog service.

So it matters less on who you use for cell service than on what is in that
SIM chip it the handset. The chip tells what service the handset can use.

So, you had better have "free roaming" or the handset itself could charge
you money by using a cell tower that is owned by another network. I have
seen this attempted by my phone at Raleigh-Durham airport. I stopped it
before it as it was connecting thru another service on an international
call. On the second try, it accessed and went thru my providers network. I
would hate to think what the first connection would have cost.

There was an article in 2600 Mag a while back about this. Some hackers were
looking at the info stored in the SIM chips.

Jim Ussailis