[Hidden-tech] Tuesday Jan 5 @ 6pm - Concurrent Development - Source Code Branching Strategies by Dan Caron

Dan Caron dan at dancaron.com
Tue Dec 22 19:43:44 EST 2009

First and foremost - we would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your families a very happy holiday season - Merry Christmas, Happy belated Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy New Year, and if you are a believer in the Invisible <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Pink_Unicorn>  Pink Unicorn, good tidings to you too.  See you after the holidays!
The Western Mass Microsoft Technology Users Group is hosting a monthly meeting on Tuesday, January 5th at 6:00 PM at the MassMutual Learning Center in Chicopee, MA. Free pizza, drinks and coffee will be provided compliments of MassMutual. Attendance is always free and open to anyone interested in learning about Microsoft technologies. Directions are below.

Presentation Abstract:

In this session, we will discuss various strategies for branching and merging source code.  Branching and merging is a feature of most source code control repositories that allows you to isolate one person's changes from another person's changes (or isolating one team's changes from another team's changes).  If done right, the result is isolation during development, convergence of code changes on a regular rythm, and predictable results after a merge.  If done wrong, it can be a disaster.

A common use for branching and merging is in dealing with production bug fixes.  If you have strategic development going on for your "v.next" release, how do you deal with expediting bug fixes into production - without interfering with development or testing of your "v.next" release?  Branching & merging - that's how you should deal with it.

We will talk about the reasons why you may need isolation for your coding changes (you may not realize how useful this technique can be).  You will learn various techniques for branching - including "branch by feature", "branch by team", "branch by sprint" and "branch for prod fixes".  For this presentation, we will use Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2008 as our platform.

About the Presenter:

Dan Caron is a published author of two technical books on DotNetNuke development.  He has been a major contributor to the  <http://www.dotnetnuke.com/> DotNetNuke open-source portal project since the core team was founded in 2003.  As an original member of the Core Team in 2003, Dan was a Core Architect and member of the project's Board of Directors.   He retired from DotNetNuke in 2006 and as a result, he now enjoys a lavish lifestyle of fortune and fame (just checking to see if anyone reads this).  Based on his significant community contributions, Dan was recognized as a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) in 2005 and 2006.

For 15 years, Dan has been leading the development of software applications with technologies that include Microsoft Silverlight, VB.NET, Team Foundation Server (TFS), C#, ASP.NET, XML/XSL, SQL and AJAX.   Since 2001, Dan has been a Systems Consultant with  <http://www.massmutual.com/> MassMutual Financial Group, a Fortune 100 financial services organization. With MassMutual, he leads the technical direction for Microsoft .NET application development for the enterprise.  Dan is also the leader of the  <http://mstech.org/Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/Fck/fckeditor/editor/> Western Mass Microsoft Technology Users Group.

Meeting Location
MassMutual Learning & Conference Center
350 Memorial Drive
Chicopee, MA 01020
Telephone: (413) 598-9898

>From the West
Take I-90 East (Massachusetts Turnpike) to Exit 5 (Chicopee). Bear Right after toll booth, and then Right again onto Rte. 33. The MassMutual Learning & Conference Center is one half mile on the Right.

>From the East
Take I-90 West (Massachusetts Turnpike) to Exit 5 (Chicopee). Bear Right after toll booth, and then Right again onto Rte. 33. The MassMutual Learning & Conference Center is one half mile on the Right.

>From the South
Take I-91 North
to Rte. 291 East in Springfield. Follow Rte. 291 East to Exit 6 Ludlow/Chicopee Falls). Follow exit ramp to first Stop sign. Take a Right onto Fuller Road. Continue on Fuller Road to third traffic light. Take a Left at light onto Memorial Drive (Rte. 33). Take a Right into MassMutual Learning & Conference Center entrance.

>From the North
Take I-91 South to Exit 14 to I-90 (Massachusetts Turnpike). Take I-90 East to Exit 5 (Chicopee). Bear Right after toll booth, and then Right again onto Rte. 33. The MassMutual Learning & Conference Center is one half mile on the Right.

If you have questions, please direct them to:
 <mailto:info at wmassdotnet.org> Dan Caron
User Group Leader, Western Mass Microsoft Technology Users Group