[Hidden-tech] Email stalking...

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Fri Apr 17 10:20:00 EDT 2009

> David F. Farkas wrote:
>> I posted a comment on a mailing list which led an apparently unstable
>> person to harass me with emails. She seems to be in Europe and is
>> having people in the US look things up about me. Then she throws them
>> into the emails in attempts to goad me into responding. So much for
>> freedom of thought and expression, eh?
>>
>> Thanx for listening.
>>
>> Here is the question. She has an email address at HotMail which
>> appears to be her name. Any suggestions on whether I can get
>> MicroSoft to shut down her email account or any other strategies for
>> an email stalker?  All I know is that she is a PhD somewhere in Europe.

Just a further note (I agree with the previous posts recommending no
contact, no response of any kind).

You could create a folder in your email client to contain these, and
then create a filter to catch her sending address and dump them straight
to that folder. That way, you keep them for the record, but are not
bothered by them as they come in. Adjust the filter for additional
addresses if needed. My prediction is that since she will simply get
tired of bothering you, especially with no reaction. I doubt it would
ever escalate, but that's something you would have a better sense of;
and, if it happens, you have the records.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator