[Hidden-tech] Mac or PC?

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Thu Oct 30 17:40:26 EDT 2008

Tom Kopec wrote:
> Also, if you do decide to get a Mac, make sure you get Applecare (and
> figure that into the price).
>
> From painful experience with my daughter's hard-drive-eating Macbook,
> Apple doesn't stand behind their products... the unreliability of that
> Macbook drove my daughter (once a diehard apple fan) back to a PC
> laptop this fall.

That's unfortunate, and I'm sorry your daughter had that experience. I
think it is the exception rather than the rule -- both in terms of
failure and failure to be of service. I wouldn't make a blanket
conclusion that "Apple doesn't stand behind their products." I do,
however, agree that Applecare can be a good thing to have, especially if
you are sending a new student off to college and would like to be secure
for the duration. I've done that with both of my daughters. I've also
found that going directly to Apple (an Apple store) makes a big difference.

The vast majority of the Macs I and my family members have had have been
trouble free and of service for many years. My older daughter's issues
with her MacBook (mentioned in my first response) have been self
inflicted (e.g. filling her drive to 99% and trying to run that way for
extended periods and then impatiently going for the power button and a
forced restart when it is unresponsive, etc.), and the Apple store
diagnosed and fixed the resulting directory table corruption for free. I
did get Applecare for her, because I expected she might need it. But her
MacBook is over 4 years old, and the AppleCare ran out at the end of 3
years.

Just as an extreme example of reliability, I had a Mac SE to which I had
added a HyperCharger020. It was connected to a Linotronic Imagesetter
and ran a graphic arts service bureau for a couple of years (Guy
Kawasaki actually used it once at a tradeshow). Then it was my personal
Mac for several more years. Then I got a new PowerMac 7100/80AV and my
wife inherited the SE and its copy of PageMaker to prepare her school
work. She used it for several more years. When I got a second hand
Quadra 630 for her (when Specular was sold and left Amherst I got 3 of
them very inexpensively), the SE went to her school office to be used
instead of the PC that was there. At that point it was 10 years old. I
designed a sign to affix to its side declaring it a Knight of the Realm
for Yeoman Service . . . .

On the service side, my son had a PowerBook a couple of years ago that
had some serious problems. It was out of warranty. The problems may have
initially been caused by plugging it into an outlet at a house built by
a shoddy contractor. Burned something out. He paid something for the
initial repair, but negotiated it lower. The PowerBook continued to have
problems. Apple covered a couple of additional repairs until it finally
stayed repaired.

The only hardware problem I ever had was an iMac G5 a couple of years
ago. That was caused by an industry wide problem with bad capacitors
that hit almost every major manufacturer. Everyone had recalls. My iMac
was a year and 5 months old when it failed. Past warranty. I took it to
the Apple store and they replaced the power supply and the mother board
for free. It's been as good as new ever since.

My family and I have owned something like 20 Macs over the years. I have
also had about 10 workplace Macs over the years. Of course, this is not
counting Macs on other peoples' desks in companies where I have been IT
manager, just my own desktops and my family's. At work, I have generally
also had a PC under my desk in recent years, but the one I have now
hasn't been turned on in over a year. There's a full time guy who mostly
just takes care of the PCs in the building, so I don't have to.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator