[Hidden-tech] More packrat stuff... files off an ms-dos system?

Jan Werner jwerner at jwdp.com
Thu Jun 12 17:10:36 EDT 2008

Before the IBM PC, most microcomputer software was distributed on 8 inch
128KB floppies, which was a vast improvement over paper tape. The
floppies on the first IBM PCs held no more than 360KB.

A full-sized (2400 foot) reel of 9-track tape for the IBM/360 mainframe
held a maximum of about 44MB using the largest possible block size, and
even the high-density 6250bpi tapes introduced in the 1970's held no
more than about 170MB of data.

In the mid 1980's I set up some data collection systems on AT clones
using full height 5" 72MB hard drives. These cost about $7,500 at the
time and came with dedicated controller cards and a patched version of
MS-DOS to allow accessing more than 32MB.

Jan Werner