[Hidden-tech] Verizon vs. Comcast

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Fri Jan 25 11:49:50 EST 2008

DAVID F. FARKAS wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> Finally getting ready to switch away from Comcast and ditch cable TV.
> It seems EarthLink no longer offers phone service so that only
> alternative is Verizon.

???

I have Earthlink TrueVoice over cable. In Amherst.

I had Earthlink Cable first. They subcontracted with Comcast to put in
the cable, and I got it without any TV connections for substantially less.

http://www.earthlink.net/cable/

OK. Couldn't find the TrueVoice connection through cable on their web
site. Opened a support chat. The support guy confirmed that they decided
to stop taking new subscriptions to TrueVoice so that they could focus
their attention on actual alternative phone service with DSL. They
aren't into our area yet and couldn't say when they would be. They gave
me a referral to call and get information on future support for my service.

Personally, I really don't like Verizon, and my whole reason for going
with Earthlink TrueVoice in the first place was to escape Verizon. With
Verizon everything is a al cart and costs extra. I cut my monthly phone
bill in half and got far more features and service when I switched. I
get all the traditional phone features like caller ID, 3 way calling,
call waiting, etc. for free. I also get features that traditional phone
service never offered. I can go to their web site and configure my
services, see a list of incoming and outgoing calls, block phone
numbers, temporarily transfer my phone to my cell phone or to a vacation
home (if I had one), etc. I also get my voice messages sent to my work
email as .wav attachments. So if an important call comes in when I'm at
work, I know about it. And I don't pay extra for any of that. Not to
mention that calls to anywhere in the continental U.S. are free.

I don't know what their new service is going to look like. But, if it's
not urgent to switch, I would consider waiting to see when they get to
Amherst.

> What they offer at my location is their 3Mbps DSL. I'm close to a
> switching station so the speed should be as advertised. My question
> is... will I experience a noticeable difference in performance
> compared to Comcast cable?
>
> A related question about TV... is anyone using an indoor antenna to
> pick up the local TV channels successfully in Amherst? If so, any
> words of wisdom? I was thinking of using an amplified antenna and
> putting it as high as I can get it... second floor room, top of bookcase?
>
> Thanx as always for sharing your knowledge and wisdom.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center