[Hidden-tech] Security: Mac vs. Windows is no longer an argument

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Dec 9 11:14:37 EST 2008

At Mon, 08 Dec 2008 16:49:31 -0500 Roger Williams <roger at qux.com> wrote:

>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.

>   > someday, coming to you real soon, will be that email attachment you
>   > inadvertently opened that turns your machine into a zombie
>   > spam-thrower.
>
> After 20 years managing networks and designing network equipment, I have to
> confess that I'm still bewildered by this.  Why on earth would _anyone_ design a
> mail client or desktop manager so that it automatically executes code after
> extracting it from an attachment -- and why on earth would any user _permit_ this
> behaviour once he knows that his computer is configured that way?!

It is supposed to be a 'convenience' feature to make it easy for users to
share rich media content with each other.  Or some such *marketing*
nonsense.  Microsoft needs to (re-)sell its software over and over again
in order to maintain a revenue stream.  It does this by selling the
*same* system with a new name, additional features (mostly bad ideas
fromthe *marketing* dept.), and cosmetic makeovers.

You also have to realize that the default setup of MS-Windows assumes a
'proper' corp. network environment,  one where there is a good firewall
and an in-bound E-Mail server that is stripping off bad attachments.
In this environment, it is perfectly viable for the various in-house
office workers to share all sorts of legitimate company stuff (eg
PowerPoint presentations, Word Documents, and Excel spreadsheets).  The
problem is that when a home user (who generally has no clue and no IT
dept to back him/her up) connects a MS-Windows machine configured for
this sort of environment directly to a DSL, Cable, or FIOS modem, you
have a machine waiting to become a spambot...

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration