[Hidden-tech] Security: Mac vs. Windows is no longer an argument

Roger Williams roger at qux.com
Tue Dec 9 11:55:20 EST 2008

  > In this [corporate] environment, it is perfectly viable for the various
  > in-house office workers to share all sorts of legitimate company stuff ...

Naw... you can't tell me that there's ever an excuse for automatically running
executables received in attachments.  Macros in Word documents are a different
issue (running with root permission?  Hello??) but they aren't the primary
infection vector for spam-distributed malware.

  > The problem is that when a home user ... connects a MS-Windows machine ...

No, I don't buy that argument.  The trade journals report that 99%+ of the
machines on botnets are behind decently-maintained firewalls at big
corporations.  And the system administrators at Intel (as an example of one of
the more vigilant big companies) tell me they can't do much about the problem
as long as they support Windows.

--
Roger Williams <roger at qux.com>
Chief Technical Officer, Qux Corporation