[Hidden-tech] Security: Mac vs. Windows is no longer an argument

Roger Williams roger at qux.com
Mon Dec 8 16:49:31 EST 2008

  > someday, coming to you real soon, will be that email attachment you
  > inadvertently opened that turns your machine into a zombie
  > spam-thrower.

After 20 years managing networks and designing network equipment, I have to
confess that I'm still bewildered by this.  Why on earth would _anyone_ design a
mail client or desktop manager so that it automatically executes code after
extracting it from an attachment -- and why on earth would any user _permit_ this
behaviour once he knows that his computer is configured that way?!

>From the feedback I get from Windows users, I have to assume that they're
powerless to stop their computer from automatically executing code that it
receives from unknown and untrusted sources.  I know that my Mac, Linux, and
Solaris installations don't do that.

--
Roger Williams <roger at qux.com>
Chief Technical Officer, Qux Corporation