[Hidden-tech] Security: Mac vs. Windows is no longer an argument

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Fri Dec 5 13:47:19 EST 2008

andrew bellak wrote:
> okay, so here's a quick poll / survey question:
>
> if you run Mac, do you use 3rd party ant-spyware and/or anti-virus
> software?  Is anything built in into Leopard (OSX)?
>
> since I'm usually behind a modem, then a wireless router, I've been
> advised that it's redundant and just slows one's machine.

Good replies from Roger and Robert.

For some time I have not trusted the anti virus software sold for Macs.
They seemed to cause more trouble than they prevented. While Virex was
originally developed on the Mac many years ago (long before Mac OS X),
it was bought out by McAfee (a PC software company). In such cases, Mac
software doesn't fare very well. Another prime example is Retrospect.
That was once one of the best software products anywhere. It was bought
out by EMC several years ago, and both development and support have
seriously languished. It seems to be dying the long slow death of neglect.

I think that the primary threat on Macs is user behavior. The OS and
applications like Firefox try to provide protections, but the user is
the boss. So, download an executable from the web and the OS will issue
a warning when you try to run it. But, you can still say, "yes, I want
to run it."

So, in the interest of user education and in parallel with the link I
posted the other day to the NSA Security Guides, those who want to learn
more about how to avoid risky behavior should check out the CERT
Security Tips -- http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/tips/ -- There is a huge
amount of stuff there. Since this is the shopping season, check out
particularly the tips related to Shopping Safely Online and Browsing
Safely. Whether it says so in those or not, I never do activities that
involve money or secure information on public wireless networks.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator