[Hidden-tech] Security: Mac vs. Windows is no longer an argument

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Dec 4 16:44:33 EST 2008

At Thu, 04 Dec 2008 14:53:11 -0500 Roger Williams <roger at qux.com> wrote:

>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.

>   > if you run Mac, do you use 3rd party ant-spyware and/or anti-virus software?
>
>   > since I'm usually behind a modem, then a wireless router, I've been advised
>   > that it's redundant and just slows one's machine.
>
> Alas, the protection provided by anti-spyware and anti-virus software only
> partly overlaps the sort of protection provided by a firewall.
>
> The firewall (your router or, less effectively, firewall software) prevents
> unauthorised network access to your computer to keep folks from exploiting
> open or buggy network services or bugs in your network stack.
>
> On the other hand, anti-spyware software removes and/or blocks malicious
> software that has been installed on your computer to intercept or take partial
> control over your interaction with the computer.
>
> And anti-virus software combats a range of installed malicious software,
> including worms, phishing attacks, rootkits, and trojans.
>
> Admittedly, if blackhats gain access to your computer through bugs in your
> network services, they will probably install a rootkit and other malicious
> software.
>
> But almost ALL malicious software on Windows has been installed by the user --
> usually by executing code received in email or downloaded from the web.  (Of
> course the user didn't know at first that it was malicious software, but the
> fact is that he was tricked into installing it himself.)

MS-Windows also runs with far too many network unneeded and *insecure*
services running, at least out-of-the-box.

> On OSX, the situation seems even clearer; I don't know of ANY malware threats
> that are making use of network bugs in up-to-date versions of Leopard.
>
> Anti-spyware and anti-virus software is designed to protect against user
> ignorance, impulsiveness, and carelessness (and operating systems that
> encourage this behaviour!).  Firewalls protect against surreptitious attacks

Including 'built-in' software that are too 'clever' for their own good,
that tend to install / run software that should not be run (eg OE, IE
gratiously running / opening email attachments, etc.).

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration