[Hidden-tech] Security: Mac vs. Windows is no longer an argument

Roger Williams roger at qux.com
Thu Dec 4 14:53:11 EST 2008

  > if you run Mac, do you use 3rd party ant-spyware and/or anti-virus software?

  > since I'm usually behind a modem, then a wireless router, I've been advised
  > that it's redundant and just slows one's machine.

Alas, the protection provided by anti-spyware and anti-virus software only
partly overlaps the sort of protection provided by a firewall.

The firewall (your router or, less effectively, firewall software) prevents
unauthorised network access to your computer to keep folks from exploiting
open or buggy network services or bugs in your network stack.

On the other hand, anti-spyware software removes and/or blocks malicious
software that has been installed on your computer to intercept or take partial
control over your interaction with the computer.

And anti-virus software combats a range of installed malicious software,
including worms, phishing attacks, rootkits, and trojans.

Admittedly, if blackhats gain access to your computer through bugs in your
network services, they will probably install a rootkit and other malicious
software.

But almost ALL malicious software on Windows has been installed by the user --
usually by executing code received in email or downloaded from the web.  (Of
course the user didn't know at first that it was malicious software, but the
fact is that he was tricked into installing it himself.)

On OSX, the situation seems even clearer; I don't know of ANY malware threats
that are making use of network bugs in up-to-date versions of Leopard.

Anti-spyware and anti-virus software is designed to protect against user
ignorance, impulsiveness, and carelessness (and operating systems that
encourage this behaviour!).  Firewalls protect against surreptitious attacks
through the network.

Oh, yes, the answer to your question: I don't use anti-spyware or anti-virus
software on my Mac -- but on the other hand I don't execute programs I receive
in spam or download software from unknown or untrusted sources.

--
Roger Williams <roger at qux.com>
Chief Technical Officer, Qux Corporation