[Hidden-tech] server backup software

Mark Bucciarelli mark at hubcapconsulting.com
Tue Oct 9 09:15:36 EDT 2007

Reva Reck writes:

> I'm sure some of you have experience with Windows-based SERVER (Win2003)
> backup software. I need to  backup to USB hard drives & am exploring
> software like NovaBackup & BackupAssist as well as more expensive products
> like Acronis & BackupExec. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's
> used these or similar products. I'm not interested in software that will
> only run on a PC, and I'd like to stay under $400. I'd use Acronis, which
> I know lots of people really like, but it's too expensive. I can upgrade
> BackupExec within my budget, but I've gotten some bad feedback about using
> that for backup to disk. So if you've used w. Backup Exec with disks, I'd
> like to hear about that, too. Thanks, Reva

This tool [1] is free software and is well spoken of.  (I haven't used it
for a while--dump/restore works for me on *nix.)  Some generous soul has
built a windows version [2].

If your server hosts a database, be sure you back up the database files in a
consistent state; either use some utility like mysqldump or write-ahead
logs.  You cannot rely on file-system backups (unless your filesystem
support snapshots).

No matter what tool you use, make sure you test the restore process before
the need is critical.

No matter what tool you use, make sure you test the restore process before
the need is critical.

[Marketing rule of thumb is eight impressions, but I'll stop at two. ;) ]

[1] http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/
[2] http://solutionsfirst.com.au/~dave/backup/