[Hidden-tech] Great input - but don't forget due diligance

A - Z International az at a-zinternational.com
Sun Jan 7 21:13:39 EST 2007

Hi all,

Boy, I guess I hit a nerve on this concern about self-promotion and
Giannina seemed to really capture a lot of folks desires with the
Biznik model. My feelings are whatever suits the network and that you
can support is the way to go. When I founded Hidden-Tech almost five
years ago the only agenda was to help us all connect and build our
businesses. I always left the HOW of that to the board and you.

But one warning about online communities like Biznik, Ryzes, Link Up,
etc . . . They're great (to varying degrees) for connecting, but not
so great for helping with the due diligance necessary to carry on
business. Think about what it takes to build trust between yourself
and a business partner and how much research you need to do on a
total stranger.

Frankly, that's why long ago I urged the steering committee to
continue with face-to-face programming. Hey, it can be very
time-consuming or as simple as calling for a meeting a some local
restaurants for an informal mixer. But I've found that the huge
benefit of Hidden-Tech over these last five years was the combination
of what I came to call the ground organization and the cybertools
that Rich Roth, Silvana Gravini and others established.

And, yes, the Web site needs a lift. Silvana and I spent a good part
of the fall (with input from the board and Kimo Lee) assessing how to
make the current Web site more user friendly and more responsive to
e-commerce. Whatever happened to those plans is something the board
will have to tell you.

But I do think that ANYTHING that helps us connect, locate resources,
and beat isolation is great with me. Keep talking and keep providing
input. That's what Hidden-Tech is all about.

VOLUNTEER ISSUES: A number of you have said you offered to earn those
membership hours and provide your volunteer services, but no one has
responded. In fairness to the board, my urgent family issues took me
out of play and forced my hand to resign a few months before I'd
planned. The board has been playing catch up. Maybe someone could
work with the board as a membership coordinator to keep track of
volunteer requests and keep tab on hours.

Anyway, keep on participating!

best,

Amy Zuckerman
Hidden-Tech Founder