[Hidden-tech] Application to find dead links on webpage

J. Cohen ht at westernmasswebdesign.com
Tue Dec 18 21:48:48 EST 2007

Nate Bartlett wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am trying to check a client's huge website for dead links, and I
> thought that there must be some software program that could do the grunt
> work for me.  I've looked at ActiveURLs Check&Get, which seems to be
> more about checking for dead bookmarks, rather than entire websites.
> Does anyone have an application that they particularly like?

Xenu is probably the best tool (if you are on Windows).

If you are using Linux try Klinkstatus:
http://klinkstatus.kdewebdev.org/

A good Web-based tool is here (warning: Java Applet will load)
http://www.auditmypc.com/xml-sitemap.asp
It's called a "sitemap generator" but it will spider your site and
create a spreadsheet of HTTP headers (e.g., 404 Not Found).