[Hidden-tech] Mac 10.4 Questions

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Thu Aug 23 22:24:45 EDT 2007

I'd appreciate some help with a few snags I've run into with Mac OS 10.4.10.

1) I tried to uncompress a new driver for my router, which all of a
sudden can only find the two hard-connected computers and not
anything over the wireless network. Stuffit Expander told me it
couldn't run without Stuffit Engine, which has unaccountably vanished
from my computer. Searching the web, it seems it's no longer a
no-cost product, and nor could I find any competitors. Given how few
files I need to decompress, I'm not in a great rush to buy a file
uncompressor.  What are folks using these days?

2) Is there *any* way to change the default setting on the Finder's
search function so that it searches a string in a file name, rather
than a text string within documents? I could literally write an
article while it searches and I always forget to change it. Besides,
it would save me oodles of time reconfiguring it every day if I could
default to what I need for 98 percent of my searches.

3) In general, performance on my G4 iMac has been absurdly slow for
several months. Yes, I have a lot of files--but  I also have 11.87 GB
of unused disk space. It just crawls--like taking several minutes
over broadband to download the router firmware. Any recommendations
to speed it up? I was thinking I could off-load several gigs to an
external drive, and that might at least speed up iPhoto. is that a
good method? Are there better?

4) I'm using Spamfire 1.0. Recentl, I started having a problem with
some mail addressed to shel at principledprofit.com--but when I try to
rescue, Spamfire gives me: "Error 450 unable to find
principledprofits.com" (note the s in the domain--it's not in the
actual email). The company has closed its support department. Any
ideas?

Thanks so much,
Shel Horowitz - 413-586-2388/800-683-WORD shel at frugalfun.com
-->Join the Business Ethics Pledge - Ten Years to Change the World,
One Signature at a Time  (please tell your friends)
<http://www.business-ethics-pledge.org>
Marketing consulting * copywriting * publishing assistance * speaking
How to market ethically/effectively: http://www.frugalmarketing.com
Ethics Blog:  http://www.principledprofit.com/good-business-blog/
Books: http://www.frugalmarketing.com/shop.html