[Hidden-tech] stop walmart's 20 acre expansion

Tom Adams tomadams at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 11:14:40 EDT 2007

Do we really need an even larger walmart on route 9 in hadley? I don't
think so... and I thought you'd like to know that there's an effort to
stop this huge expansion

Please voice your opinion by sending an email TODAY to
nicholas.zavolas at state.ma.us
(Mr. Nicholas Zavolas, Secretary of Environmental Affairs office, EOEA
Project #13478 (MEPA Office), Boston

THE DEADLINE IS TOMORROW, APRIL 6TH

To be effective, your comments must address the following subject matters:
- traffic congestion and safety
- pedestrian and bicycle safety
- the filling of wetlandsand protection of farmland and open space.

The following are the facts regarding walmart's desire to build a larger store:

Replacing about 20 acres of open space with a parking lot and a five acre store

Open 24 hours a day, and more than twice the sizeof the old store

Weekday traffic on Route 9 is now forecast to rise approximately
25%over current levels—not including the new traffic from the Lowe's
and Home Depot projects already approved

Added traffic will worsen air pollutionfrom volatile organic compounds
(VOCs) and nitrogen oxide (NOx)

Now even closer to Rail Trail

The developer is disregarding community requestsfor an underpass to
carry the Norwottuck Rail Trail under South Maple Street, where
traffic forecasts show one car would cross the Rail Trail every six
seconds during peak hours. We must insist on an underpass for the Rail
Trail.

Two of the three alternatives do not comply with wetlands regulations,
and the third "proposed alternative" brings the Supercenter to within
114 feet of the Rail Trail.
The developer is required to send you a free copy of its plan: call
413-452-0445 to get yours.