[Hidden-tech] Comcast v. Verizon

Jonathan Dill jfdill at jfdill.com
Tue Oct 10 15:49:49 EDT 2006

In case I haven't mentioned it before, if you want to get an idea of all
of the options that may be available in your neighborhood, check out

http://www.dslreports.com

I haven't used it in awhile, but you used to be able to plug in your
home address or (non-internet) phone number and find out what services
are available.  I hear Verizon FIOS (fiber) is worth looking into if you
can get it, but I doubt it's available anywhere in Western Mass.

For the original problem that was described of parts of web pages not
acceleration" software or firewall rather than the cable service
itself.    The cable should just be providing a TCP/IP connection, it
shouldn't care what is contained within the stream of data.  However,
some ISPs have been known to sneak a "web cache" into a connection and
force all traffic to port 80 to go through there (this is to conserve
bandwidth on their "back end" and peer connections to other ISPs).

As for cable modem, the cable modem that you have can make a lot of
difference, especially if it is an older unit that uses old standards.
I recommend Motorola SurfBoard or at least something that is "DOCSIS 2.0
Certified".

As for Verizon, my experience is the DSL modems they give out are cheap
junk and at some point start flaking out on people.  You can hound
Verizon until they send you a replacement cheap junk, or just bite the
bullet and try to get something better yourself.  However, it's hard to
find ADSL modems that you can buy as a regular consumer.  The Zyxel Zoom
X5 or X6 are sometimes available at places like Staples or CompUSA, I
know a couple people who have replaced Westell units from Verizon with
the X5 and had very good results.

For DNS problems such as on Comcast, some firewall / router can be set
up to work as a "caching DNS".  If you have a Linux box, Mac, or Windows
Server, it might not be too hard to set up a caching DNS on there as well.

As for DHCP problems on Comcast, you could look into getting a static IP
then set up your cable modem with a "static" address accordingly, but I
have no idea how much Comcast charges for that, or if it is even
available for other than business accounts.

Jonathan